Hello! My name is Ayọ̀olúwa and I love to read. I especially enjoy African Literature.
To me, African Literature includes novels, short stories, plays and poems that express African stories or are written by people of African lineage—this definition might be different for someone else.
Aside from African Literature, I enjoy sociological non-fiction, celebrity memoirs, diverse romance novels, and books that have movies.
I created this blog to emphasize that Africa is not a monolith. I hope to introduce readers to amazing authors and stories from the continent, and in the process build a community of people who love reading as much as I do.
The reviews and comments on The Lit African are intended to be light and casual, to ensure that the content is accessible. So, in the spirit of keeping things casual, here are 5 fun facts about me:
- My favourite ice cream flavour is Baskin Robbins’ Rainbow Sherbet. I’ve loved it since I was 3 years old #committed.
- I would love to travel around Europe in the future.
- I am a terrible dancer and singer so I avoid doing both in public, but any song by Aṣa or Beyoncé (and Adekunle Gold more recently) will get me on the dance floor, belting out lyrics in a heartbeat.
- I once zip lined across Niagara Falls. It wasn’t as scary as I thought it was going to be.
- I have 3 siblings and more cousins than I can count. They are very annoying, and I love them fiercely.
Now that you know me, tell me about you. Leave a comment, let’s get the conversation going! What is your favourite book of all time?